January 31, 2011

Why Can't I Just Buy A Car Like Normal Folks?

That is the question that's been in my head for weeks. I peruse webpages filled with cars until my eyes start to blur, then I go roam the back parking lots of car dealerships in 20 degree weather (cause I want to see what they have in a tangible way without salesperson interaction). This always works, no one comes out to bother me.

I stand there shivering until I have all the info. I think I need and then I walk quickly back to my car, taking care to avoid the slick patches of ice. I wonder how I ever bought my current car, a 1999 compact Chevy coupe. And yes, I bought it new. It was the first car I'd ever purchased, but my circumstances were different. I recall having to rent a car for a weekend to be able to drive to various dealerships to look at cars. I did not feel as much pressure then because a)I had only two choices that I liked, could afford, and had low % financing and b)I already had donated my hand-me-down Chrysler LeBaron to a worthwhile organization and watched with sadness as they towed it away.

This time is different. I have my car and although it has issues (air conditioner failure and an intermittent electrical system glitch) it still runs. Therein lies my hesitancy. I guess a big part of me doesn't believe you should purchase a new expensive item if the old, at-one-time-expensive item is still working. I know that I am in the minority with this thinking. I believe that is primarily because many people use acquisitions like cars to define who they are or boost their self esteem.

My favorite car was a 1971 Cutlass Oldsmobile with a 350 Rocket engine and a sweet Alpine car audio system. It also had a heater that occasionally didn't work, an intermittent roof leak, and floorboards that had rusted to the point that it was possible at any moment I might have to power my car using the same method as Fred Flintstone. As much as I loved that car, I knew when it was time to retire it. I had two cars at that point, and trying to keep them both while living in a downtown apartment was no easy task. So when someone offered to buy the Olds, I jumped at the chance. It helped that the person I sold it to was a fan of classic cars. I knew it would have a good home.

So back to the present. I've looked at and test driven Nissans, Chevys, and one brand/car that I won't share (because I am all about the top secret). Who knows, if I fully commit to this process, I might end up with a car that I will love as much as the Olds.

1 comment:

Lea Ryan said...

That's one cool looking Cutlass!!!