March 8, 2011

Should I Remove This Facebook Friend?

I've been wondering about this question recently. I have guidelines about who I friend: I don't friend anyone I dislike or don't know. My philosophy is if I would not want to associate with you in the "real world" why the hell would I allow you the opportunity to read what goes on in my sometimes fabulous and sometimes mundane life. However, once I've added someone, I usually don't remove them.

That brings me to my current dilemma. There is someone I'd really like to remove. I do not believe this friend (a former teacher of mine and when I knew him, a personable guy) will be posting on his wall anymore. If he does it would qualify as a supernatural act or miracle depending on one's perspective. As you've probably figured out, this facebook friend is dead.

I asked a few folks at my workplace their opinions. Most said I should not remove him. One person stated quite convincingly that if I remove him, he might haunt me. I'm not saying I believe in ghosts, but when a potential haunting was mentioned, I thought why chance it? So what do you (the few readers of this blog) think I should do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a friend from high school, a police officer, that recently passed. His mom left a post for everyone and I am hoping will close account. Until then, I have left him as a friend because that's how I remember him.

Bianca

Unknown said...

I would keep him. There is no harm and maybe someday he will write something important or insightful on his wall.