January 3, 2011

The Best of 2010

OK, I'm nearly three days behind on this, but I thought it might be interesting to reflect on some of my positives of 2010. They are as follows:
  • Cupcakes-2010 was when the cupcake craze that has been in the big cities for years decided to arise in Indy. Many cupcakeries opened to join local establishment, The Flying Cupcake. My favorite entry into the market is Gigi's Cupcakes, a franchise with Nashville, TN roots. Gigi's are the epitome of sugary goodness. I like them so much, I buy them for my very good friends.
  • Save the Noggin Bike ride- What can I say? This September ride was challenging and inspiring at the same time. Challenging because I was able to ride 28 miles without any friends accompanying me. Inspiring.... because of the people I met . One participant, who I'll call SA, had just learned to ride a bike again after an injury that had occurred a year earlier. She and others said they felt the need to donate money and ride as a way to give back to the Brain Injury Association of Indiana, an organization that helped them . It was the most difficult athletic endeavor I ever attempted and completed, but by far the most worthwhile.
  • Solider of Love (Sade)- This was my favorite album of 2010. Sade hasn't changed despite a near 10-year absence from recording. The new tunes were as jazzy and smooth as ever. I could listen to them multiple times and never tire of them. My choice for runner-up would be the soundtrack from the movie Burlesque, and for happiest, bubbliest album... Katy Perry's Teenage Dream.
  • For Colored Girls- I am usually not a fan of Tyler Perry-produced projects, but I enjoyed this because of the monologues (when do you see those in film?) and the talented actresses of color who decided to be a part of this film. Despite some weakness in the script, Phylicia Rashad, Anika Noni Rose, Thandie Newton, Whoopi Goldberg, Loretta Devine, Kimberly Elise, and Kerry Washington gave it their all.
  • Kindle-The best gift I never thought I needed, and yes now I love it. Finding engaging books to download that are being offered for free is like a literary treasure hunt.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it is interesting that you never thought you would like or need a Kindle and now that you have one you appreciate its awesomeness.

I like hearing how much you enjoyed the Noggin bike ride. That was my favorite thing about this past summer, learning how much I can push myself and what I can really do. It is nice that you also learned some of that about yourself as well.

Anonymous said...

need to check