July 5, 2010

The AGE Issue-Part One

Recently, I was a guest at a wedding where the groom was 25. The bride who attended grade school and high school with me, is several years older than 25. Let's just say she could play the Lorelai character on the TV series, Gilmore Girls. She is about as slim and attractive as that character, too.

While, I believe it is awesome that my former classmate's beloved is a handsome young man whom she connects with on many levels, it started me to thinking. Why does the age of women have to be such a big deal in our society and more specifically why do I allow it to affect me?

An example... a person guessed me at being six years older than what I am. My response was shock followed by immediately texting my "in the know" acquaintances for eye cream recommendations. I did this even though I don't believe the person guessed me older because of how I look, but rather because of my demeanor and attitude.

Years ago, I decided not to befriend or spend time with any person to whom the term bitter hag could apply. I've decided I need to let go of the age issue or I run the risk of becoming one.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting. Yes, no one likes a bitter hag. Keep those dark thoughts about age out of your head.

Anonymous said...

Testing comment box.