June 16, 2010

Still Lovin' The Zumba



What can I say about Zumba? The classes I attend are fun and festive with a real sense of community. I never thought I'd enjoy dancing so much without having to go to da club. No late nights, smoke-filled rooms, makeup or uncomfortable clothes are required to participate in Zumba. You show up, briefly greet a few of the other devotees and then bust a move (check out my old school slang, y'all).

My experience is best when I have the steps down and am surrounded by those at my skill level and above. I believe others in my primary Zumba class feel the same, because the first three rows on the left side of the class define the words in sync. There is one leader in our informal group, who I'll call D. Honestly, I believe she could teach Zumba or any dance class. When she misses a class, the sync falters. D is so essential, that when Instructor Cesar stops leading the class, the class continues without a glitch because all attention turns to D.

I believe what I find most fulfilling is that in Zumba you communicate with others mostly through the dance and of course, body language. Words are rarely necessary. Nowhere else do I have that luxury.

No comments: