April 18, 2010

First Concert: 5th Dimension

Last week, I decided to ask those whom I see on a daily basis the following question: What was your first concert? I find this an interesting question because usually the first concert was not a concert the respondent chose but rather a concert that their parent(s) or some other random adult picked and as a child they sort of tagged along. At least that was the case for me. Those questioned ranged in age from 28 to 50. The answers were Doobie Brothers, The Jacksons (yes, those Jacksons), Clint Black, Johnny ("Secret Agent Man") Rivers and the 5th Dimension.

Since a couple of respondents had not heard of the 5th Dimension, I thought this was a good time to spotlight this Grammy Award winning group that was at the height of their popularity from 1965 to the 1970s. I would like to note that when I saw them perform it was several years after that time period. The members of the group were Marilyn McCoo (she also hosted the 1980s show Solid Gold), Billy Davis Jr. (her husband), Florence LaRue, Lamonte McLemore, and Ronald Townson. After watching some audio/video of this groovy quintet, feel free to share your first concert memories.




1 comment:

Lea Ryan said...

I've heard two of the songs before. I guess I just didn't know who sang them.

I think they used that Aquarius song in the 40 year old virgin movie. That's quite a groovy video too. far out, man, far out in space.