October 1, 2010

The Social Network (2010)

When Nightline, 20/20 or similar news magazine programs feature a profile of the famous, notorious or both, I am glued to the TV. I want to know the specifics of the person..... Why did they do what they did? How did they succeed or fail? What obstacles did they overcome? So give a girl like me a free movie pass to The Social Network (the movie based in part on the phenomenon that is Facebook) and one would figure it would be the ultimate satisfying movie experience for me. But you know what? It wasn't.

That's not to say I disliked the movie. I enjoyed Jesse Eisenberg's portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg. Eisenberg does an effective job showing Zuckerberg's intellect and awkwardness, while hinting at a business acumen hidden beneath his nerdy exterior. Justin Timberlake also provided a good performance as Napster founder Sean Parker, who joins forces with Zuckerberg and Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin. Of course, my opinion of his acting might be influenced by the fact that Timberlake (whom I usually don't find that attractive) looked pretty damn good in this movie.

There was an abundance of dialogue, which is not uncommon for a movie that is in essence a character study. However, where it fell short was that at times it felt like a history lesson, albeit a well-written history lesson. If I wanted someone who knew nothing about the topic to understand the origins and popularity of social networking, I'd suggest they watch this movie. When it is released on DVD, I probably will purchase a copy for my mother so she will understand why I now have the latest news about the kin folk before she does.

Overall, I believe the movie accomplishes what it set out to do. On a five point scale, I'd give it a 3.

2 comments:

Lea Ryan said...

interesting. I'm not big on movies with a lot of blah blah. At least I know what to expect when I watch it!

I'm with you on the whole Justin Timberlake thing. He just looks like a regular guy to me, and not an overly good looking one at that.

and biblical curse word, oh my.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed this movie. I liked the dialog and I found it interesting to learn more about the back-story and drama involved in the start up of such a infamous company.