September 12, 2010

Not A Fan of New Routines

As any reader of this blog already knows, I adore Zumba. It is a way for me to engage my love of dance while getting a great workout. In an effort to keep the class fresh and exciting, Cesar, the instructor likes to add new routines or revise old ones with new steps. Since I don't pick up dance steps as easily as I'd like, new routines occasionally spur frustration especially since I usually am in the front of the class. I try not to miss classes, but sometimes it is unavoidable. When I return, there is ALWAYS something new. For example, in one recent class, I was mirroring the class star (Queen of Zumba, D) when I realized a classic dance move combined with cumbia (traveling the floor) had been inserted into the routine. I believe D has had dance training and this move ignited such intensity in her that she nearly ran (or rather danced) me down. I had to jump out of the way because although I was doing the steps correctly, I was too slow. Imagine my dismay! Here's hoping that I can speed it up next class.

No comments: