February 11, 2009

Tale of the Unfit

Last year, I participated in one fitness class, and it was not one of my finest moments.

Given that, you would think my fitness attempt for 2009 would involve something low-intensity such as really slow mall walking, setting out the trash or raking the leaves that have been on my front porch since November. But no, I just had to go back to a class. This time I went to the YMCA w/Candace and Nicole (yes I'm using first names in this entry instead of my usual practice of intials. Hopefully they won't mind).

We ended up at a combo aerobic, strength endurance class with some yoga thrown in. Our instructor was fit, too fit. I took one look at her and knew I would not be able to keep up with her. Honestly, she looked like she has never eaten a candy bar or a whole pint of ice cream in her life. Had she been fit and model-like and youthful, I probably would have left the class before it even started. Thankfully, I did not have to.

Our class involved using accessories including weights, a mat and a really heavy pole (not the stripper kind). I chose the 2 lb weights, the lightest, which led the instructor to encourage me to use two at the same time whenever we were doing arm strenthening exercises.

I was better at completing the arm work than the leg work. I became tired quicky with the aerobics portion, but I tried to keep moving because A)I liked the music and B)Nicole was nearby and it appeared that with a few weeks of practice she could launch her own line of fitness DVDs. There is something to be said about being motivated by the positive actions of your pals.

So I made it through the class and have vowed to take others, preferably a hip hop cardio or urban line dancing class. I'm sure this will provide me with a lot of content for future posts as well as a need to purchase the ointment of the elderly, Ben-Gay.

1 comment:

Candace said...

I sooooo NEED the ben gay today!