February 19, 2009

Commercials

Anyone who knows me knows that I have an interest in commercials. I've worked as an extra in a few and unsuccessfully auditioned for speaking parts in others. I should add I've been told I have a great speaking voice. It makes me effective at presentations and as a seminar speaker. The problem with commercials is that I am unable to become a "character" The only "character" I know how to be is me.

I was discussing commercials with my two of my friends. The one friend noted that she skips through all commercials, never watches them... not even during the Superbowl. I told her that there are some creative spots that are quite amusing. I decided to use this post to provide an example or two. The first spot was produced by two brothers who live in Batesville, Indiana. They entered it in a contest and not only won a million dollars but also a national airing of the spot on Superbowl Sunday this year. It is not my favorite, but it features some out-of-the box thinking.





The commercials I like the best are for Geico and I'm not referring to the ones featuring the Gecko. Check this one out:




I also liked the Geico Caveman commercials until someone had the goofy idea to turn it into a TV series. What the hell were they thinking?

1 comment:

Candace said...

You crack me up! I had seen the Flintstones one but not the Dorito one. I was laughing out loud at my desk. However, this doesn't make me want to watch commercials on a regular basis.