May 20, 2012

In Gratitude to Donna Summer

It seems like my posts lately have been to say goodbye to music icons. I'm not sure if this is occurring because I am getting older, the icons were older or both. The latest entry to this list is Donna Summer. She passed away much too soon at 63. No words adequately can convey her impact on my youth. She was awe-inspiring! In an era of synthesized dance music, she was a true vocalist. She could cause me to get up and start dancing with an upbeat tune or touch my emotions with a ballad. As the following videos indicate, she had the ultimate vocal prowess.


My goal was to see her in concert. I feared that would never happen since she did not tour the Midwest much during the height of her popularity. But as it turns out 20 years after her heydey, I did get to see her perform... from a 2nd row vantage point. She looked good, sounded great and the wait was worth it. Although the venue in Indiana was smaller and certainly not what she was used to, she made the audience feel they were just as important to her as if she had been singing at the Grammy Awards. So thanks to Donna for being a positive influence in my life and the lives of her many fans.

No comments: